Employees are the backbone of every business and should hence be very carefully chosen and recruited. Good employees are a rare phenomenon and should be held on to whenever possible. Hence it is important to seek them out and find ways and means to ensure that they keep performing to the best of their abilities.
But it is of even more importance to find out what qualities distinguish or make a good employee. Some qualities of a good employee are:
- The ability to outdo oneself: These employees strive to attain perfection in their work thereby enabling them to outdo their previous achievements. Setting an example for others to emulate, good employees always keep challenging their abilities.
- A positive attitude: The eagerness with which an employee embarks on a project defines its outcome. A positive attitude will always help to build positive vibes around him thereby increasing the efficiency of the work done. In fact with a “can do” attitude even the most improbable of goals and targets also become suddenly achievable.
- Striving for excellence: All and any work or project undertaken by them is done with an initiative to strive for excellence. Taking the initiative and getting things done in a way that is the best for the company is one of the best qualities of a good employee.
- Enjoying the work done: A good employee will always enjoy the work that he does and also encourage other members of the team to do the same. It is generally seen that when people enjoy what they are doing, they have a tendency to do it in a much better way. This, in turn, helps them to become better contributors to the company’s profit thereby getting their due recognition as valuable employees.
- Ownership: A good employee takes responsibility for everything he does. Hence even if he has done something wrong he will come forward and take the initiative to correct it. Making mistakes is not a big deal but taking ownership of the same and coming up with good suggestions to solve it positively makes for a good employee.
- Good working relationships: It is very important to maintain good relationships at the workplace. For a person to excel, he should have very cordial relationships with his colleagues and subordinates. This will help him to achieve what he sets out to do without making others feel threatened by his abilities to take initiatives.
A good employee is always a valuable asset of the company. Hence everyone should strive to become one so that both the company and the employee reap the benefits of this fruitful relationship.